Monday, January 09, 2012

When it rains it pours!

Literally! When I woke up for boot camp at 4:40 a.m. I noticed it was lightening outside. I got in the car and the roads were wet but it was not raining. Our instructor had already planned an inside routine so after a 15 minute run we spent the next hour inside.

When Reese woke up around 7:30 a.m. the sky looked steel gray and a silver cast seemed to radiate. I told Reese, "It looks weird outside today."

Thinking it would be a rainy day I pulled Reese's new birthday rain boots out for her to wear to school. I figured she might as well wear them on a day like this even if it meant getting them 2 weeks early.

She was thrilled and said, "So I can jump in puddles!" Here's her cute little outfit - I mean it was 70 and humid outside so I didn't layer a shirt underneath. She did have her jacket in her bag though.



Here she is trying to show off her butterfly backpack. The boots are butterfly too! Her favorite things are ladybugs, honeybees (the dress is fondly referred to as honeybee dress) and butterflies.



Look the wings flap!


And we had to take her Dora umbrella!




So off we went to school and work. As soon as I dropped her off it began to sprinkle. I had no idea what was coming next. In the following two hours we had thunderstorms, tornado warnings and flash flooding. The sky turned black and our building shook. They closed the underground parking garages to keep the water out.

Grandma called to tell me the water was over the curb and she was afraid it might be in her car. I told her to move it in the driveway, but by the time she got out there it was too late. Her lights were on and water was in the car. Five minutes later she called to say our roof was leaking as water was coming out of the ceiling upstairs. Nice!

Fearing I couldn't get my car out of the garage I had my friend Bob drive me home in his Ford 250 truck. That was the only thing getting through the flooded streets. Cars were stalled every where.

When we got to my house the water covered Buffalo Speedway and was at least 3 feet deep. The construction cones were floating and my roses were drowning. Ah!

Grandma's car was like this!


The only car left on our street! She was afraid to leave Lane inside to move it and by the time he went down for his nap it was too late.

Bob and I checked out the attic and put a bin down. In the meantime the roofer called saying he would be out Tuesday before Noon.

Grandma planned to call the Chevy dealer to pick up her car later that day. They said it was most likely totaled.

Here's a few more pictures I managed as we headed for a burger before going back to work.



By the time I picked up Reese, the water had receded but there were plenty of puddles to jump in. And she did! It was great!

I tried for a cute picture with Lane after his bath because his hair was so cute! But he wanted to watch the previews of The Little Mermaid. He is afraid of movies for some reason - too loud maybe. If I hold him he watches.


No comments: